An entrepreneur is someone who venture into a business to make profit and ready to take up any form of risk that may come up be it financial loss, market risk and so on and to become successful in the business he/she must possess some skill that will help in overcoming any problem that may rise up. Below are some of the skills an entrepreneur should possess in order to be successful in the business.
- COMMUNICATION SKILL: Skills such as writing and speaking are critical to a life of success. As an entrepreneur, you might be genius in what you do but when you lack a good communication skill the business may not yield the profit its expected of because you won’t be able to identify what your customers really want from you and how to go about satisfying their needs and wants. Communication brings about the ability to interact and relate well with your employees. As an employer, you must know how best to talk with your employees in order to get ideas on how to grow the business. Give rooms for your employees to share the ideas with you and you cant achieve this if you don’t have a good communication rapport with them.
- RISK TAKING SKILL: Risk taking is a very essential skill an entrepreneur should possess. If you want to venture into a business and you cant take risk, then you are just going into the business for fun because the business will not grow. The fear of losing or running at a loss is real in business but fear is not really the problem, the problem is how you handle the loss that makes the difference in your life as an entrepreneur. Losing inspires you to become better. Taking a risk makes you to be stronger and smarter.
- LEADERSHIP SKILL: Being an entrepreneur requires you to have the ability to lead the people working under you rightly. You must be able to give them roles and responsibilities. Being a leader doesn’t give you the right to give the people you are leading problems by tasking them with what you know they are not capable of doing. You should study your employees to know which role each is good at and task them according to what they are good at. You should be able to implore them to go extra miles in order to take your business to greater height and you can achieve this when your employees see their leader working hard and not leaving the work to them alone. To become a successful entrepreneur, you need to be a good teacher as well as a good student..You should be able to give as well as to receive.
- MOTIVATION SKILL: The urge to be more profitable at the end of any business transaction makes an entrepreneur to work harder. That pressure will force you to think and bring out ideas and turn the ideas into something new. Motivation skill makes you to be smarter and more active in the business.
- NEGOTIATION SKILL: Negotiation is the process by which an entrepreneur reach an agreement with his customer. When reaching any agreement with your customers, you need to avoid any form of argument or dispute. Put your relationship with your customers first. Let your customers do most of the talking because the more they talk, the better you understand their needs while you listen. You should be flexible in your decisions so your decisions will not in any way be against your customer’s interest. Because your customers are the lifeblood of your business.
- INNOVATION/CREATIVITY SKILL: Innovation and creativity work interchangeably so as an entrepreneur you must posses the two. You must be innovative which is the ability to think and bring out brilliant ideas and turning the ideas into something new or beneficial to your business is creativity. Read books, surf the internet, read magazines, newspapers, attend seminars, etc. these are where to get new ideas on how to run your business